Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Clothes

Growing up in a frugal family, we don’t really have much spare money to get fancy clothes. Besides school uniforms, most of the clothes that I’d back in my childhood were mostly for warmth rather than look. When I was in k-school and in primary school, most of my clothes were coming from two sources. They were either bought from some stalls in dry good market or given to me from my aunt who used to take some factory pants home to do some touch up before going to packaging and shipping.

I would say the first time that I had right to really choose what clothes to buy was back in third grade before Chinese New Year that we were supposed to buy new clothes for the new year. I was taken to the dry good market by my mom and selected a full set of dark blue sport jacket and pant, both of which with two white stripes running from neck down the ankles. Since my favorite color back then was blue, so I basically bought the same kind of clothes for the next three Chinese New Years in a row. They were all in blue as well.

In order to save money on clothes, we were taught to buy clothes of bigger size. I remember the craziest example was my pair of white sneakers which had been bought in my second grade, they were too big back then that my parent stuff some cotton at the front of the shoe inside to make that fit. Amazingly, as I only wore the shoes on the day with P.E. classes, they last till I was in sixth grade! That’s how we save money back then.

My first knowledge of brand names came when I was in my fourth grade. As my school allowed students to wear sneakers, so black leather shoes were not mandatory, students were able to buy all kinds of sneakers to wear, some of them treat that as a way to show their personality or wealth. That was then I first heard of brands like Adidas and Puma from other students. I wasn’t sure why, somehow I got my dad to buy me my first pair of brand name sneaker, a pair of blue Puma with white stripe on my fourth grade. Then, I got another pair of brown Adidas on my fifth grade after the Puma was worn out. Back then, I don’t have many pair of shoes: just a pair of sneakers, and flippers. That’s about it. That’s why shoes just worn out quickly. In subsequent years, I think I got a pair of old white Puma tennis school from my cousin, and most other shoes were not really any great brand names, maybe a pair of Lotto, and a pair of casual Yasaki shoes. That’s all that I remember.

Clothing wise, I don’t think I had ever really get into any serious brand at all. Just casual clothes that I bought in some night-market style clothing stores which were ‘rejects’ from exports. Nonetheless, I was largely fine with them. Cuz, I’ve never been into fashion. Just couldn’t afford them and neither has interest in them. I would say that pretty much summed up my memory about clothes and shoes up to my age of 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment